Drinking water should have a negative ORP measurement.
- The value of ORP quantifies the amount of energy in water by numbering electrons.
- ORP values are expressed as millivolts, or mV.
- Drinking water should have a negative mV number of at least -50mV.
- Water with an ORP of -50mV will have enough negative ions to attract and neutralize excess acids
Drinking water should have a PH level at or above 9.5.
PH is the measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution. First introduced by Danish chemist S. P. L. Sørensen in 1909, PH stands for “power of hydrogen.”
- Pure water at 25 °C has an equal concentration of dissolved hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) and is considered “neutral.”
- PH measures the concentration of hydrogen and hydroxide ions on a scale from 0 to 14, with 7.0 considered neutral.
- Solutions with a PH level below 7.0 are acids.
- Solutions with a PH level above 7 are bases (alkaline).
The healthy human body contains both acids and bases. The organs maintain the PH of arterial blood between 7.35 and 7.45. To counteract the amount of acids consumed by eating, drinking, and breathing, the body will take alkaline substances from body parts, such as bone. By drinking alkaline water, you are able to counteract the intake of acids and help the body regulate its pH in a more healthy way.
Here is a video of PH and ORP levels from different Ionizer brands. It is long but very informative.
Watch this video to see the uses of Alkaline and Acid water in your home.
Below are more detailed explanations of PH and ORP for those inclined.
PH: Mainstream medicine accepts the human body has to maintain a Blood PH of 7.3 to 7.42 to stay alive. It needs to be understood this is measure on a logarithmic scale, like the Richter scale. As Sang Whang writes in his book “Reverse Aging”, “it works out that a Blood PH of 7.45 has 64.9% more excess oxygen than a Blood PH of 7.3”, quite a drastic difference. As written by Robert Young in his book “The PH Miracle for Weight Loss”, “scientists agree that the body falls out of it delicate PH balance, then vital organs can be damaged and life itself threatened. Therefore, your body will go to great lengths to stay in PH balance–building cholesterol plaques, storing fat, leaching calcium out of the bones or magnesium out of the heart or muscles to act as buffers– all in an attempt to protect itself from ACID damage”. Many factors in our lives today contribute to Acidity.
The pH scale is logarithmic and as a result, each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, pH 4 is ten times more acidic than pH 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than pH 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline (another way to say basic) than the next lower whole value. For example, pH 10 is ten times more alkaline than pH 9 and 100 times (10 times 10) more alkaline than pH 8.
ORP: Oxidation Reduction Potential. If a substance has a positive ORP it is considered an oxidizer. The higher the ORP the more it damages cells and increases the aging process. Liquids with a negative ORP are considered anti-oxidants and can slow the aging process.