From the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
“Over acidity, which can become a dangerous condition that weakens all body systems, is very common today. It gives rise to an internal environment conducive to disease, as opposed to a pH-balanced environment which allows normal body function necessary for the body to resist disease. A healthy body maintains adequate alkaline reserves to meet emergency demands. When excess acids must be neutralized, our alkaline reserves are depleted leaving the body in a weakened condition.
Most people who suffer from unbalanced pH are acidic. This condition forces the body to borrow minerals—including calcium, sodium, potassium and magnesium—from vital organs and bones to buffer (neutralize) the acid and safely remove it from the body. Because of this strain, the body can suffer severe and prolonged damage due to high acidity—a condition that may go undetected for years.
Mild acidosis can cause such problems as:
- Cardiovascular damage, including the constriction of blood vessels and the reduction of oxygen.
- Weight gain, obesity and diabetes.
- Bladder and kidney conditions, including kidney stones.
- Immune deficiency.
- Acceleration of free radical damage, possibly contributing to cancerous mutations.
- Premature aging.
- Osteoporosis; weak, brittle bones, hip fractures and bone spurs.
- Joint pain, aching muscles and lactic acid buildup.
- Low energy and chronic fatigue.”
The human body creates acid, all day, every day, as a byproduct of metabolism. In addition, acid is introduced into the system through eating and digestion. Many secreted and digested acids are swept away by the blood stream, filtered out by the kidneys, and released from the body in the urine. Other acids leave the body through perspiration. Your body can only process a certain amount of acids, however, so it is possible to overload the system and for the body to become acidic.
The modern diet is extremely acidic.
- Meat, including beef, pork, chicken and turkey are acidic.
- Dairy such as milk, butter and cheese are acidic.
- Grains such as rice and barley are acidic.
- Beverages such coffee, tea, and soft drinks are very acidic.
- Fruit and fruit juices contain high concentrations of acid.
- Simple carbohydrates such as potatoes, pasta, and bread contain large amounts of acids.
Acidity in the body is related to disease
- Acid reflux is a painful condition that occurs when acidic stomach liquid backs up (refluxes) into the esophagus, causing irritation, inflammation and damage to the lining of the esophagus
- High cholesterol occurs when the body produces excessive amounts of cholesterol to neutralise large amounts of acids in the blood stream before they damage living cells.
- Heart disease is the result of a build-up of cholesterol in the coronary arteries that reduces the blood flow to the heart muscle. As stated above, cholesterol forms to product the arterial wall from acidity in the blood.
- Fat is produced by the body to trap and neutralise acidic waste in the body. As Dr. Robert O. Young, author of The pH Miracle for Weight Loss, puts it, “The body retains fat as a protection against the overproduction of acids produced by the typical American diet….Your fat is actually saving your life.”
- Inflammatory related diseases such as allergies, arthritis, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, and even stroke are related to low-grade metabolic acidosis.
A recent seven-year study conducted at the University of California, San Francisco, on 9,000 women showed that those who have chronic acidosis are at greater risk for bone loss than those who have normal pH levels. The scientists who carried out this experiment believe that many of the hip fractures prevalent among middle-aged women are connected to high acidity caused by a diet rich in animal foods and low in vegetables. This is because the body borrows calcium from the bones in order to balance pH.
Drinking alkaline water can help restore the body’s pH balance, reduce acidity and promote detoxification.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Department of Health. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.